Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Fantasy building sketches

It really intrigues me to draw the exteriors of fantasy buildings, and I am sort of on a kick right now. The Isometrics I have done in the past have been rather popular in the G+ community and I like giving the reader of my blog what they like. 

Recently I have been doing alot of sketches of building exteriors and have been scanning the web for other artists who also do such. Deviant Art has some fantastic examples of fantasy buildings,a nd a quick google search has led me to many others. 

Whether it be a birds eye view of a cityscape, or just the outline of a straight on view I am not sure what it is that intrigues many of us old school role players about fantasy cities, buildings and floorplans. Its like a inlet into a world that we wish we could have lived in. Looking at the images created for us to explore unknown environments that we personally could never go to. 

Mostly used as background for a larger campaign, cityscapes are a link to the immersion into that wider world of our imagination. All this being said, I thought I would post up several quick sketches, I am not sure if these will ever be completed and published, but for me they were a fun outlet. 

(Click to Enlarge)

This first one was just a study sketch. I wanted to get loosened up so I just started drawing stacked boxes and then added roof lines and then the common "Post & Beam" /"Timber" frame buildings. Woking in a slight birds eye and using 2 point perspective without the use of T-square or straight edges. 

(Click to Enlarge)

For these next few studies I looked at an illustration piece by Yun Hyun Jung and picked up some valuable line placement tips by copying his drawing. Remember working off someone elses artwork is fine, it teaches you where they decided to place lines, and allows you to figure in your own head where your lines will go, so that they make the most sense visually. This is not tracing, mind you, and never claim the work as your own, always site what you looked at. 

(Click to Enlarge) 

(Click to Enlarge)

This building study was taken from the same study piece as mentioned before. I liked the multi-faceted building with plenty of angles, additions and roof lines. It made this a challenge but it was fun to work it all out. I inked this one up to work on my pen work. 

These final two are some of the pieces I was working on for & Magazine for an underground city. The first was a sketch that I was working on but gave up after the tower near the center came out leaning. The second was nearly  finished when I saw +Christopher Letzelter 's awesome piece that appeared in issue 10. His was obviously better than mine and so as art director, it was an easy decision which one to choose. 


(Click to Enlarge)

(Click to Enlarge)

Thanks for looking, comments always welcome.






No comments:

Post a Comment